The US Mega Millions jackpot keeps rolling over, which means the next draw could make a lucky winner $88 million (AUD$113 million) richer. That certainly is a big number, but it’s still just a number. What does $88 million actually mean? Let’s breathe some life into the jackpot amount by discovering what a Sydneysider could buy on average at a supermarket and beyond with their windfall. Before we start: do you have any idea how many heads of lettuce you could buy for the current jackpot amount? Or how many times you can go see a movie in one of Sydney’s many cinemas? Read on and we’ll give you the answers!
$88 Million Grocery List
- 10.5 million liters of market-bought domestic beer (.5L bottle)
- 5.9 million liters of market-bought imported beer (.33L bottle)
- 7.5 million bottles of mid-range wine
- 5.6 million packs of Marlboro cigarettes
- 39.9 million liters of water (1.5L bottle)
- 81.5 million liters of milk
- 38.5 million loaves of white bread (500g)
- 26.8 million dozen eggs
- 10.8 million kilograms of local cheese
- 31.7 million kilograms of white rice
- 10.7 million kilograms of chicken breasts
- 28.2 million kilograms of apples
- 39.2 million kilograms of oranges
- 25.7 million kilograms of tomatoes
- 36.8 million kilograms of potatoes
- 56 million heads of lettuce
Man Cannot Live on Bread Alone
- 756 thousand local Sydney transport month-passes
- 50 thousand months of rent (one-bedroom apartment, city centre)
- 5.8 million cinema tickets
- 1 million pairs of Levi’s jeans
- 824 thousand pairs of Nike shoes
How Big of an Apartment Could I Buy in Sydney’s City Centre?
- 10,682 sq. meters
What Would You Do With $88 Million?
Wow, it’s so much fun dreaming of all the things you could buy if you won the US Mega Millions jackpot! And yet, a ticket is out there waiting to change a lucky someone’s life! The next draw is Tuesday, 17 February. Join in on the fun and buy a Mega Millions lottery ticket today! Who knows – 56 million heads of lettuce could soon be in your shopping cart!